Welcome to Dangote Cement Plc
Our Environmental Pillar defines our way of entrenching environmental sustainability by identifying, measuring, and mitigating actual and potential negative environmental footprints in all our operations. Our goal is to improve our performance in energy efficiency, waste management, water consumption, greenhouse gas emissions, and to leverage the opportunities in environmental responsibility, such as the medium to long term cost efficiency and reputational capital offered by the circular economy business model.
The cement industry is a major emitter of carbon dioxide which is known to contribute to global warming and climate change. Approximately 60% of these emissions are produced in the conversion of limestone (CaCO3), a key natural ingredient, to clinker CaO), an intermediate component of finished cement; while the remaining 40% of CO2 is generated by the combustion of fossil fuels in the kiln and to produce electricity to power the plant. However, our plants are mostly designed to be energy efficient using cutting edge technology in cement production.
We have started exploring the feasibility of using alternative fuels in our kilns through effective and fit-for-purpose reutilisation of wastes produced in our sites. However, the amount of wastes that we generate in our operations are minimal, and so we understand that, to leverage the opportunities presented by the Circular Economy business model, we will need to collaborate and partner with third parties, in line with SDG 17.